Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Writing in the Sand

Welcome!  Sit down with a cup of something yummy and let me introduce myself.

Ever since I was a little girl I’ve loved to “create”.  I remember one Thanksgiving when I was around 7 years old, while waiting for my grandparents to show up, that I wrote poems.  Well, I thought they were poems!  They’re actually pretty funny.

During this same time, I would open my mom’s jewelry box and gawk at all the “pretties” in there.  We weren’t rich, they weren’t diamonds, just costume jewelry.  But I was awed.

And then there was a history project in grade school that I had to do.  We were supposed to make shadow boxes representing the colonial times.  I had a BLAST, with Mom right beside me, egging me on to be yet more creative!

Speaking of Mom, she would take me to her crafty meetings as a tweenager.  Here I was, 10 years old, among a bunch of sweet old ladies that had to be – gosh – 110 years old!  (Just kidding, Mom!)  There’s a verse in the Bible that talks about what I experienced there…“The aged women likewise…That they may teach the young women”.  (Titus 2:3-4)  I’ve kind of stretched those verses a bit to fit my situation, but you get the idea I’m shooting toward.  Those older women treated me like I was one of them and taught me so much.  It was confirmed - I liked this “crafting” thing!

So, decades later when I caught the “jewelry-making bug”, no one was surprised!

I think I’ll go make a pair of earrings…

2 comments:

  1. Lianne, looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on my computer page and "gawking at your jewelry box"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friend! It'll be a blast!

    ReplyDelete